Click on an image for enlargement and more information
$950 Abstract signed 1956 oil on board 24" x 36"
$450 Untitled signed, 1953 airbrush painting 18.5" x 28"
SOLD Untitled Female Portrait signed, 1965 pencil deawing 23" x 21"
SOLD Spice Shelf signed (label on back) 1964 pencil drawing 19.5" x 29.5"
SOLD Abstract signed, 1958 oil on board 24" x 48"
SOLD Untitled Abstract signed, 1966 oil on masonite
SOLD Untitled Floral signed, 1969 oil on board 26" x 24"
SOLD Fish signed, 1959 ink on paper 8" x 11 1/2"
SOLD Windmill/Wind Tunnel signed, 1966 oil on board 33" x 48"
SOLD Untitled signed, 1962 pencil drawing 16" x 15"
SOLD abstract signed 1959 mixed media 10 x 12
John E. Anderson (1923-1971)
With the exception of working and exhibiting extensively for a few years in Paris and New York City, John Anderson spent most of his career in Minnesota. Born in Mankato, Minnesota, Anderson was in the US Army stationed in England from 1943 to 1945. Once out of the service, Anderson moved to Minneapolis and began his training at the Walker Art School, graduating in 1948. He taught at the Walker Art School under the direction of Mac Le Sueur and worked as an exhibition assistant from 1954 to 1957.
Anderson's work was part of an exhibition titled "16 Younger Minnesota Artists" at the Walker Art Center in 1960. Between 1953 and 1968, Anderson had eight shows at the Kilbride-Bradley Gallery in Minneapolis. He also spent several months painting in Greenwich Village in New York City. He exhibited as part of the new modern art movement at the Guggenheim and Whitney museums in the 1950s.
Anderson was commissioned to create a mural for the then new Southdale Shopping Center in Edina, Minnesota in 1956. Anderson's work is part of the collections of St. John's University in Minnesota and the Walker Art Center.