Click on an image for enlargement and more information
SOLD Untitled (seated female figure) signed, 1945 ink on paper 9.5" x 8"
SOLD Emeraude Compression, Dusk, Red Rock Lake Superior Landscape signed 1986 oil on board 6" x 11"
SOLD Abstract signed University of Nebraska Art Galleries label on verso oil on cardboard 7.75" x 10.5"
SOLD Untitled signed 1958 watercolor 17" x 22"
SOLD Untitled Abstract signed 1956 ink & watercolor 7" x 13"
SOLD Small hatch work drawing signed 1982 silverpoint 7/8" x 2"
SOLD Structural Forms - Betty Saar Fragments signed 1984 ink on paper 10.25" x 7.5"
SOLD The Town, Sea and Starry Night signed 1982 ink drawing 10.5" x 8"
SOLD Untitled (female figure with lantern) signed, 1943 ink on paper 9.5" x 8"
SOLD lithograph 116/155 signed
SOLD photocopy signed 1984 10.5" x 8"
SOLD Wood Collage Fragment signed 1976 Rubbing IV 2/2 16" x 16"
SOLD ink drawing signed
SOLD untitled signed 1958 mixed media on paper 20" x 26"
SOLD pencil drawing
SOLD untitled signed 1957 mixed media on paper 22.5" x 34.5"
SOLD The Quarry signed verso oil on canvas 11" x 14"
SOLD Wood Collage Fragment signed 1977 Rubbing VM 3/5 10" x 15"
SOLD untitled signed c. 1950's oil on canvas 5.5 x 8
George Morrison (1919-2000)
George Morrison was born in 1919 in Chippewa City, MN, near Grand Marais on the North Shore of Lake Superior. From 1938 to 1943 Morrison attended the Minneapolis School of Art (now Minneapolis College of Art and Design). In 1943 he was awarded a Van Derlip Traveling Scholarship that enabled him to travel to New York City where he studied at the Art Students League in New York City. In 1948 he had his first solo exhibit at the Grand Central Moderns Gallery, New York City. In 1952 he was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship to travel and study art in Europe. He studied at Ecole des Beaux-Arts, Paris, and at the University of Aix-Marseilles, Aix-en-Provence, France.
In 1963 Morrison was appointed Assistant Professor of Art, Rhode Island School of Design. In 1970 he returned to Minnesota as visiting professor of Studio Arts and American Indian Studies, University of Minnesota. In 1973 was appointed the Professor of Studio Arts, University of Minnesota.
In 1974 the Walker Art Center presented George Morrison: Drawings, an exhibit of line drawings curated by Philip Larson. In 1990 the Minnesota Museum of American Art and the Tweed Museum of Art presented a retrospective exhibit Standing in the Northern Lights. In 1997 he was honored in a ceremony at the White House when his work was included in the Twentieth Century American Sculpture at The White House: Honoring Native America exhibition. In 1999 Morrison was honored as inaugural Master Artist in the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art, Indianapolis.
In 1983 Morrison moved permanently to his studio/home which he called Red Rock at Grand Portage, until his passing in 2000.