Click on an image for enlargement and more information
Paul Granlund (1925-2003)
Best-known for his striking bronze sculptures, which merge the human and geometric forms, Paul T. Granlund began his studies as an artist at Gustavus College in St. Peter, Minnesota where he received his BA in 1952. He continued his studies at the University of Minnesota, then at Cranbook Academy in Michigan, where he received his MFA in 1954. That year, he was also awarded a Fulbright Award to study in Florence, Italy. A Guggenheim award for 1957 and 1958 allowed him to study in Rome.
For much of his career, Granlund was based at Gustavus Adolphus College in St. Peter, MN. He built his studio and foundry there, and worked with generations of students as the sculptor-in-residence from 1971-1996. Granlund was widely read and interested math, science, religion, linguistics, music, and sports, and his work reflected the connections he made between these diverse fields.
Granlund exhibited widely in museums and galleries, with solo exhibitions at the Minneapolis Institute of Art (1959), the Walker Art Center (1956), the American Swedish Institute (1978 and 2003), and in college and university galleries through out the upper Midwest.
Today, Granlund’s sculptures are installed throughout the Midwest and beyond: on college campuses, outside churches and hospitals, in arboretums, even at airports. International travelers can view Granlund sculptures in Paris, Nagasaki, Hong Kong, Sweden and India.