LOWELL S. BOBLETER
Click on an image for enlargement and more information
Lowell Stanley Bobleter (1902-1973)
Lowell S. Bobleter was born in New Ulm, Minnesota in 1902. Active as a teacher and administrator in the Minnesota art community during the New Deal era, he was known for his printmaking, etching, and painting.
Bobleter kept a record book from 1930 to 1942 with descriptions of 193 prints and at least 23 more prints have come to light, for a total of 216. Almost all of these were dry-prints, many done on zinc plates instead of copper. The intended editions ranged from 35 to 75, but they were rarely completed, with most having less than 10 prints pulled.
His prints appeared in the “Print Collectors Quarterly” and he was featured in their “Fine Prints,” a booklet listing “37 of the most important American printmakers,” including John Taylor Arms, Wanda Gag, Armin Landeck, Martin Lewis, and Stow Wengenroth.
Bobleter studied at the St. Paul Gallery and School of Art in 1923-25 and privately with George Resler and Cameron Booth. He received an honorary D.F.A. from the School of Associated Arts in 1965.
He exhibited at the Minnesota State Fair, 1931(prize), 1933-36 (prizes) and 1938 (prize); the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, 1933 (prize), 1935-37 (prizes), 1939-40 (prizes), 1942-43 (prizes), and 1945 (prize); World’s Fair in New York, 1939; Minneapolis Women’s Club, 1940-41 (prizes); Library of Congress; Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art; Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D. C.; Art Institute of Chicago; Metropolitan Museum of Art; and more.
His work is in the collections of the Minneapolis Institute of Arts; Metropolitan Museum of Art; New York Public Library; Library of Congress; Walker Art Gallery, Minneapolis; Smithsonian Institution; Hamline University, St. Paul; Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Art; and California State Library.
Bobleter served as director, St. Paul Gallery and School of Art, 1940-42; superintendent, Minnesota State Fair Fine Arts Department,1941-48; professor of art and chair of the School of Fine Arts, Hamline University, St. Paul, 1942-48; and president, School of Associated Arts, St. Paul, 1948-73.